POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Noise3d and Megapov 0.5 : Re: Noise3d and Megapov 0.5 Server Time
2 Oct 2024 08:18:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Noise3d and Megapov 0.5
From: Chris Huff
Date: 27 Jun 2000 11:24:07
Message: <chrishuff-DD0B29.10240727062000@news.povray.org>
In article <395888ED.2795AED3@iname.com>, Jerome <ber### [at] inamecom>
wrote:

> 	See the attached result: there is much less red than any of
> the others, so this isn't the correct behavior either...

What waveform are you using? You should be using ramp_wave if you want
to compare this sort of thing. Other waveforms will throw it off, I
think the default for bozo is sine_wave.

> 	Both make it a completely different function then. The only
> meaningful way yet devised to compute how much two function
> f and g differ is to integrate abs(f()-g()) (or some
> variants involving exposants). Using that distance, my
> function is less different than Nathan's from either the
> truncated or the non truncated original functions

No. The function is the same, only the amplitude is different. It is the
same function. Your function is different, and has a very different
distribution. The only reason it resembles the original in any way is
that the original was faulty.

> 	The attached pic uses the color_map which you said was
> evenly distributed and yet the red is not very present.

Did you use ramp_wave?

> Again, I say that Nathan's function is biased towards the
> middle values (I'll concede that mine and the old one are
> probably biased towards the sides, but Nathan's is no more
> correct)

Nathan's *is* more correct, because it fixes the clipping without
introducing a bias toward the sides. When designing an isosurface using
noise3d() or a pigment function, I expect a nice, fairly linear
function. I often couldn't get the right effect because of the sudden
"clipping" of the old noise3d(), your function would have a similar
(though not as severe) problem. The same goes when I am designing
textures.
Anyway, this looks like it would be better implemented as a pattern
waveform...it sounds like it will work for any values in the 0-1 range.
You could also adjust the "flatness" of the ends this way. And I don't
think the "problems" with functions like multifractals are really as
severe as you say...people won't have to re-learn them, just adapt to
the new, corrected noise3d(). Or use #version.

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/