POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Proximity pattern in Normal? : Re: Proximity pattern in Normal? Server Time
1 Sep 2024 14:33:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Proximity pattern in Normal?
From: Chris Huff
Date: 13 Mar 2001 12:57:36
Message: <chrishuff-D88E0B.12531113032001@news.povray.org>
In article <3aae1467@news.povray.org>, Geoff Wedig
<wed### [at] darwinepbicwruedu> wrote:

> It was a mistake on my part, because I (stupidly) assumed that a normal
> takes a normal_map.  I don't know why I thought that, since a pigment
> doesn't take a pigment_map, nor a texture a texture_map, but I did.

Um, a normal *can* take a normal_map. A pigment can take a pigment_map,
and a texture can take a texture_map. No finish_map, though...
And their syntaxes are all consistent...a normal_map takes normal stuff,
a pigment_map takes pigment stuff, and a texture_map takes texture stuff.
The slope_map is just more like a color_map than a pigment_map, it
interpolates between slopes, not normals, like the color_map
interpolates between colors instead of pigments.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><