POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Testing Command Line Options : Re: Testing Command Line Options Server Time
4 Sep 2024 22:12:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Testing Command Line Options
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 24 Jul 2002 17:07:01
Message: <chrishuff-D44EE1.15595224072002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3d3f00d8@news.povray.org>,
 "jfmiller" <jfm### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> Is there a way to determine what quality setting is being used to render an
> image?  I'd like to be able to test it and if it is below 5 replace some
> slow rendering Function surfaces with simple objects.

No. You could do something very similar by just declaring a variable at
the beginning of the scene file though.

> In a related question, I'm using a parametric surface which renderd very
> slowly does anyone have any suggestions on how to optimize the process?

Write some code to generate a mesh from the parametric equations. The
mesh will render much faster than the parametric object, but will parse
much more slowly, and you might have faceting problems if you use too
low-res of a mesh. There is an include file somewhere called
parametric.inc that does this.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/