POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : WIP: "Plasma Machine" [1 image, ~ 500KB] : Re: "Plasma Machine" [1 image, ~ 500KB] Server Time
14 Aug 2024 18:00:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "Plasma Machine" [1 image, ~ 500KB]
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 24 Oct 2002 11:30:00
Message: <chrishuff-D15CDA.11231624102002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3db7dc3f@news.povray.org>,
 "Andrew Coppin" <orp### [at] btinternetcom> wrote:

> (Of course - *real* plasma is supposed to be ionised gas at heigh
> temparature and low pressume, isn't it?... Or that watery bit in people's
> blood, depending on which kind of plasma you mean ;-)

Pressure doesn't really matter. The ionized gas a lightning bolt passes
through is at quite a high pressure for a short period of time. And the
sun is just a big ball of plasma with portions at an extremely high
pressure.

> Me I just like an excuse to make interesting images. Oh, and I got one of
> those plasma ball thingies at home. (Never did work out why the streamers
> are blue, but the terminals are pink...)

Different temperatures and voltage potentials. The ball contains a
mixture of gasses, some only ionize and glow at the central electrode.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/