POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The form : Re: The form Server Time
1 Oct 2024 20:20:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The form
From: Chris Huff
Date: 25 Aug 2000 20:18:13
Message: <chrishuff-D0931E.19194025082000@news.povray.org>
In article <39a64d17@news.povray.org>, "GrimDude"
<vos### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> Conservation of disk space, and ease of defining transparency. Simply
> put, they are more efficient.

Well, I have plenty of disk space, so the first one isn't an issue for
me...but how does it help in defining transparency? (note that I have
never used a transparent image_map, and never bothered to figure out how
they are done)

> Perhaps, I was thinking of Jupiter? One of the outer plants has had a
> huge hurricane-like storm brewing for hundreds of years and appearing
> as an 'eye' on the surface.

Yes, that would be Jupiter. :-)
Not impossible to do procedurally, but definitely harder than Saturn.

> I suspect that Saturn, or Jupiter are just as complex as Earth, close up.

Actually, the images I saw were from one of the space probe
fly-by's...it looked like a light grayish-yellow ball with slight
banding. Very simple texture, with little variation in color.
BTW, the images I looked at were from http://www.britannica.com/.
They are here:
http://www.britannica.com/bcom/eb/article/multiple_images/0/0,5716,185791
000+ip,00.html
There are probably better ones out there, maybe at the NASA web site.

> Perhaps more so. Mars would be tamer. :)

Actually, I think Mars would be fourth, after Earth, Jupiter and Venus.
Saturn would be one of the easiest...

--
Christopher James Huff

<><