POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Pentium 3 optimized binary : Re: Pentium 3 optimized binary Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:15:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pentium 3 optimized binary
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 3 Aug 2002 17:17:10
Message: <chrishuff-CEBC03.16080203082002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3d4c2076@news.povray.org>, Micha Riser <mri### [at] gmxnet>
wrote:

> No, unfortunately the Intel compiler (the only one that I have which does
> vectorisation) does not recoginze this. You explicitly have to use a loop.
> I have done rewriting vector.h in such a way. But I have no Pentium4 to
> test it :(

So it will only help operations on arrays then...seems like a stupid
limitation. There isn't some compiler directive that could tell it what
can be optimized?

> Todays g++ 3.1 does a good job in loop-unrolling. But with my modified
> loop-using 'vector.h' it does still produce a slightly slower code (OK,
> maybe I have also made some mistakes in the converting..)

Well, todays g++ 3.1 didn't exist 10 years ago. ;-)
With a modern compiler, I wouldn't expect it to be much slower, but how
could you get any improvement? The SIMD instructions can't handle double
precision math as far as I know...they would help colors, but not
vectors.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/