POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Smoothly Blurred Patterns - blur2.jpeg (1/1) : Re: Smoothly Blurred Patterns - blur2.jpeg (1/1) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 02:25:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smoothly Blurred Patterns - blur2.jpeg (1/1)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 6 Mar 2001 19:48:02
Message: <chrishuff-CDEF9F.19443006032001@news.povray.org>
In article <3aa492cf@news.povray.org>, "Nekar Xenos"
<vir### [at] iconcoza> wrote:

> I wonder how 3d graphics cards do it? I've seen something like tri-linear
> something-or-other gives the best results in games. Don't know exactly how
> it works and if it only works with bitmaps. The top one gives a nice
> 'paintbrush' effect. I would have thought to do something like the Blend
> option in CorelDraw for patterns but that might also be a bit difficult.

I think programs that use a graphics card for blurring usually just use
a lower resolution blurred version of the image map, and render that
with bilinear or bicubic interpolation turned on, which is similar to
what my patch does, but 2D. Tri-linear interpolation probably had
something to do with 3D textures, and is usually more for smoothing out
texels than blurring.

The main difference is that this patch only handles pattern values, not
colors, and it only turns small portions of the pattern into voxels at a
time, so it doesn't have to handle huge amounts of data. (but has to
recompute a bunch of stuff during rendering)

--
Christopher James Huff

<><