POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Alien Invasion v.0000000.0 (16kbbu teaser; link to 1.0 MB). : Re: Alien Invasion v.0000000.0 (16kbbu teaser; link to 1.0 MB). Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:28:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alien Invasion v.0000000.0 (16kbbu teaser; link to 1.0 MB).
From: Chris Huff
Date: 26 Jul 2000 16:29:21
Message: <chrishuff-CCFB3B.15300426072000@news.povray.org>
In article <397e3c2a@news.povray.org>, "Rune" <run### [at] inamecom>
wrote:

> I'm working on a boid system of my own (just started today), and I'm
> working on similar problems right now. Among other things I found out
> that making boid N attracted to boid N+1 and N-1 (as I suggested to
> you) assembles a rather static chain. Not very smart! N+1 and
> N+1+number_of_boids/2 gives a moebius chain! Interesting, but not
> very useful. I'm trying to find a way that makes them look untidy in
> a random and natural way. I think I'm pretty close now.

Maybe have all of them try for a certain preferred height, different for
each one, and only vary from this height in order to avoid others and
the landscape. Also, maybe make them try to reach the "center" of the
flock(the average of their positions?), yet be repelled from others.

This is interesting, and somewhat similar to particle and cloth
simulation...maybe I will try my hand at it. Maybe give some more
"intelligence" to each boid, and have them behave differently in
different situations. Maybe even get them to play "king of the hill" or
tag.

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/