POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Particle Fountain(~85K before upload) - particleFountain.jpg (1/1) : Re: Particle Fountain(~85K before upload) - particleFountain.jpg (1/1) Server Time
2 Oct 2024 00:18:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Particle Fountain(~85K before upload) - particleFountain.jpg (1/1)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 29 Jun 2000 09:10:12
Message: <chrishuff-C95442.08101529062000@news.povray.org>
In article <395B1FEF.125017A8@yahoo.com>, ryan constantine
<rco### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> i was wondering if there are any developments that would allow the
> following procedural texture (no image maps): the "negative" shadow left
> on the wall, of a human, after a nuclear blast.

This doesn't have anything to do with the particle_system patch...I
would try using the projected_through light source patch.

> also, a mark on a surface that is wide at the start and narrows in
> the direction of "appearant travel".

This might be possible with the proximity pattern...

>   that second idea would allow for more realistic placement of things
> like oil stains on an airplane, seagull poop on rocks, or other things
> that splatter, or otherwise travel as they leave their mark.  of course
> your particle system may allow for the actual stain item to travel
> before it leaves the stain, but i'm looking for the stain itself.

The particles have an "elasticity" value, set it to 0 and they will
"stick" to things they collide with.
One small problem though...the particle systems environment is static,
it doesn't move during the simulation. I can try to fix that using a
similar technique as the custom_particle feature(which was based on
motion blur). I also want to be able to animate the particle emitters...
but I plan to add more emitter types and other features first.

> another example would be rust running down from a nail on an outside
> wall...

Another thing I would do with the proximity pattern and sample_weighting.

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/