POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Object oriented POV scene language? : Re: Object oriented POV scene language? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:20:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Object oriented POV scene language?
From: Chris Huff
Date: 5 Aug 2000 18:11:34
Message: <chrishuff-C3BA30.17123105082000@news.povray.org>
In article <398ACFB9.BBCFCC2B@itam.cas.cz>, Disnel <dis### [at] itamcascz>
wrote:

> Sure, its one implementation. But not neccessary the one possible.

It seems to be the easiest and simplest way to do it, with minimal
disturbance to the existing language.

> But its not a "copy" of object, then.

Sure it is. Just because shared data isn't duplicated doesn't mean it is
a different object. For example, you can have many "copies" of a mesh
which share the same mesh data, possibly saving megabytes of memory.
Textures also can share data, and I think the same goes for height
fields.

> How you mean "add in the first place"?

The object was placed in the scene before, there is no other way for it
to get there. :-)
Since you obviously have code to put it in the scene, just don't add
extra code to not put in the scene for later frames.
If persistant objects are used, you have to check to see if the object
already exists, and if it does, than don't add it to the scene again, or
you will just waste memory and render time. If only persistent variables
are used, you don't have to do this. You don't have to have special
handling for placing an object in the scene, or any special code for
modifying it.

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/