POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : feature request : Re: feature request Server Time
1 Sep 2024 20:13:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: feature request
From: Chris Huff
Date: 1 Nov 2000 16:13:49
Message: <chrishuff-C29EFA.16165501112000@news.povray.org>
In article <3a008179@news.povray.org>, "Jetlag" <bga### [at] microsoftcom>
wrote:

> What I don't understand is why it's so common, it should be obvious; all
> you have to do is look up when there's some clouds passing by.

Umm, if you are talking about what I think you are(the visible "beams"
of light caused by partial clouds and atmospheric scattering), that is a
completely different illusion, caused by perspective. The beams appear
to come from a point because they appear smaller and closer together the
further away they are...the same effect that shows in railroad tracks,
checkered planes, etc. If the light was parallel, you would still get
that effect. I don't know how much a difference the divergence makes,
but I doubt it would be obvious without side-by-side comparisons of
images. It might be an interesting POV project though...

--
Christopher James Huff

<><