POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Announce: SkyPOV 0.1 : Re: color definition (Re: Announce: SkyPOV 0.1) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:25:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: color definition (Re: Announce: SkyPOV 0.1)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 6 Nov 2000 19:09:19
Message: <chrishuff-C07E8A.19092006112000@news.povray.org>
In article <3a06b03e@news.povray.org>, "Wlodzimierz ABX Skiba"
<abx### [at] abxartpl> wrote:

> but this could be useful - color curves like color_map
>
> #declare Curve=curve{red Spline1 green Spline2 filter Spline3}
> #declare Pigment=pigment{pattern color_map{curve Curve}}

I have been thinking the possibility of something like this...I think it
might be useful. But I don't think it applies to the curves patch...

> this also allow extension to other color spaces I think

No, it won't. See explanation below.

> but you put sign "=" between meaning of "all" and "gray"
> is it true in other color spaces ?

The "=" operator isn't used in this patch...I don't know what you mean.

> >Your
> >syntax will cause confusion("I can modify red and green at the same
> >time, but not blue and saturation?").
> it depends of implementation in your planned patch :-)

No, it doesn't. For example, you can't manipulate red and hue
simultaneously, you can only manipulate one color space at a time. This
is because saturation and hue affect red, green, and blue, and the same
goes for the reverse. My syntax will allow the addition of hsl, hue and
saturation modes, yours won't, at least not in a way that makes sense.
However, those shouldn't be necessary anyway, since you can just use
other conversion filters before and after the curves filter to get the
same result. So we are back to whether or not to use the color syntax
for splines.

What exactly is deficient in the syntax I chose? Why do you think
specifying splines representing color channel curves with a color-like
syntax is a better idea than specifying a channel and a spline to go
with it?

--
Christopher James Huff

<><