POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Chess set II : Re: Chess set II Server Time
18 Aug 2024 22:25:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Chess set II
From: Chris Huff
Date: 7 Apr 2001 11:54:58
Message: <chrishuff-C0456A.10545807042001@news.povray.org>
In article <3ACE2E84.51D7EDBE@interlog.com>, dcl### [at] interlogcom
wrote:

> Needs a table and a room to go with it.  Can you post the source?  Is
> this a standard Pov-Ray file or do I need some modified version of
> Pov_Ray ( I run Solaris for my workstation ).

If photons are used, you will need MegaPOV. While I don't know of a
Solaris version, it shouldn't be hard to compile it. There apparenly was
a Solaris port, the page seems to be gone. Searching on Google turned up
some pages, you might find something helpful.
The main MegaPOV web site is here: http://nathan.kopp.com/patched.htm

> ps: This would make a nice benchmark image for new processor and OSs.
>  Makes me wonder if a MAC OS X system with a G4 could crunch it.

Of course it could...probably about as well as a G4 running Mac OS 9.
OS X does have speed benefits for some things, for example, Quake gets
much higher framerates, but POV is almost completely CPU dependant.
Assuming the settings give POV approximately equal CPU time on both
OS's, I doubt there will be much difference.
Of course, the OS X system will be a lot more responsive while
rendering...and for a benchmark, you have a choice of a Carbon app that
will also run on Mac OS 9, a Cocoa app, or a command-line program...
The closest comparison of the OS's would be to run the Carbonized
MacMegaPOV on Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X, but it would be interesting to see
how a command-line version compares.
Since I ordered the release version of OS X yesterday, I should be able
to carry out these tests myself fairly soon...

--
Christopher James Huff

<><