POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : IMBJR Flood : Re: IMBJR Flood: picnic table analogies Server Time
20 Jul 2024 23:38:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IMBJR Flood: picnic table analogies
From: Chris Huff
Date: 28 Aug 2000 14:07:33
Message: <chrishuff-BE930C.13090228082000@news.povray.org>
In article <me8lqs4e1kvbn0d7163hdtlqstljujd77v@4ax.com>, IMBJR
<imb### [at] imbjrcom> wrote:

> Is Chris Huff an elder? If he is then he should speak up and proclaim
> it. There's no pointing trying to slap a wrist if you don't have the
> pandy-bat.

I *have* said before that I am a member of the TAG and pointed you to
the TAG web site(it is even included in my signature). I have also
pointed to the official documents in
povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions several times.
Since you seem not to have read those, I will quote the relevant portion:

"TAG members are not members of the POV-Team. But they are, however, an
official conduit between us and the outside world. They have direct
access to all members of the POV-Team. They have the right to speak on
our behalf on the POV news server and on any official mailing lists
that we set up for this purpose. Not everything they say will be
official ; only when they sign it as such. They can still act
'themselves' and have their own opinions at all other times."

I suppose this makes me an "elder", if not part of the "heirarchy".

> Plus - and I may be wrong on this one, so correct me if I am - I have
> yet to see anything that says "Thou Shalt Not Flood the POV
> newserver".

People asked you to not flood with large numbers of posts. That should
have been enough.
Since the initial postings, you have done pretty well in this. :-)

> In fact Ken in povray.off-topic stated:
> "Your material was on topic and in no way in violation of this news
> servers policies."

Your posts were not off-topic or directly against any official rules. In
fact, some of them seemed quite imaginative, creative, and well done,
though somewhat lacking in explanation. However, the way you posted them
doesn't fit with the customs that the users of this server have become
used to. There have been in-depth discussions in the past about the best
way to do things, what is considered acceptable, and what is considered
abuse. While not all of these are written, official rules, it is simply
polite to not insist on going against them.

> Well, this may not be like real Usenet, but if this is were a foreign
> country, then you would be losing valuable tourist-dollars through
> displaying of isolationist viewpoints. You would never get new-blood
> to come and live and work here.

"Isolationist" is about as far from an accurate description of this
server as you can get! The people here just don't take well to
continued, intentional rudeness. We are very open and helpful to new
users or visitors. Your initial posting would have been regarded as a
mistake due to ignorance of how things on these groups are usually done
and it would have been forgiven and forgotten immediately, even by those
to whom it caused problems. However, your actions and postings since
then don't encourage good-will toward you. If you take the time to see
"how things are done" here and don't go against that, you will find a
very friendly and helpful community. It is *not* that we want everyone
to be identical and discourage individuality, it is just that we have
found a middle ground that everyone can live with.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><