POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Adding a new object : Re: Adding a new object Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:20:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Adding a new object
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 3 Aug 2002 17:01:49
Message: <chrishuff-BE646E.15523903082002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3D4B7962.DF754423@hotmail.com>,
 John VanSickle <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> There are a couple of primitives I'm thinking of suggesting for V4.
> Since I'd like to do all the legwork for implementing these primitives
> (writing the ray intersection tests, automatic bounding calculations,
> etc), so that the suggestion will put less work on the POV-Ray team,
> excatly what functions are needed to fully support a primitive
> under POV-Ray?

Well, POV 3.5 uses methods that compute the normal, insideness of a
point, all intersections with a ray, UV coordinates, copy/destroy the
shape, invert the shape, and the various transformations (translate,
rotate, scale, and transform). There are also functions for creation and
computing bounding boxes, and sometimes others. Make a 3.5 patch and it
shouldn't be too hard to adapt for 4.0, but it is likely you would have
to rewrite most of the code, and there could be very different
requirements.

Going to give any hints as to what you are planning? ;-)

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/