POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Bug in glow calculation? : Re: Bug in glow calculation? Server Time
1 Sep 2024 22:14:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug in glow calculation?
From: Chris Huff
Date: 18 Oct 2000 07:41:34
Message: <chrishuff-BCD52D.06441718102000@news.povray.org>
In article <39ed836d@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

>   But if "size" can't be used, it's even worse. Of course you have to be
> able to control the size of the glow.

You can do that now by making the glow brighter or dimmer. In fact, this
is how the original patch controlled the size...I may revert to doing
this internally for the first two types.

>   Calculating the distance between a point and a line is simpler and
> faster than calculating the intersection of a line and a sphere. It
> might cause some speed improvement, specially when there are lots of
> glows.
>   Or does it do this already?

That is exactly what it does. But it also affects the resulting
image...unless you use a large enough radius that there aren't any
calculations skipped, and no speedup. The two types of glows that are
fully implemented are infinite, and though individually they fade to
invisibility beyond a certain distance, when you put a large number of
them together there is a very visible difference.

> : If you want speed and ease of use, use glows. :-)
>
>   But if they are buggy, the result will not be the one I wanted.

They don't do what you want, but it is not a bug. The size keyword is
buggy, but fade_power does exactly what it is supposed to do: it adjusts
the final results of the glow falloff functions. This causes an
unrealistic result when reflected or seen through transparent objects,
but that is not a bug in the feature.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><