POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Chris Huff's Beveled Text Macro : Re: Chris Huff's Beveled Text Macro Server Time
19 Aug 2024 08:24:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Chris Huff's Beveled Text Macro
From: Chris Huff
Date: 21 Dec 2000 12:57:44
Message: <chrishuff-BAEF63.12585321122000@news.povray.org>
In article <3a4234be@news.povray.org>, "Dave Blandston"
<gra### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:

> It would be ideal to build this function into POV I think, because
> increasing the number of cuts enough to smooth out the corners
> creates such a complex object that it renders very slowly. But it
> sure looks great!

Building the object as it is into POV wouldn't speed rendering any...but
a related method might be useful, which would use more "cuts" in areas
that have sharp corners (kind of like anti-aliasing of geometry) and
fakes the normal in the bevelled areas to get smoother results.
Personally, I would go for turning the text object into a mesh, that way
you could also do rounded edges, you could even define a spline to form
the edges with, like you went over the object with a router. It might
even render faster than an ordinary mesh object, instead of slower...and
it could be hooked into Warp's tesselation patch.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><