POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Win32 PVMPOV Programmers Needed!! : Re: Win32 PVMPOV Programmers Needed!! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:26:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Win32 PVMPOV Programmers Needed!!
From: Chris Huff
Date: 28 Jun 2000 12:54:21
Message: <chrishuff-B8696F.11542328062000@news.povray.org>
In article <8F617F84Elavendersmith@204.213.191.228>,
lav### [at] hotmailcom (lavender) wrote:

> Computers have been networked not for a long time. The internet is
> almost every where. If programs are not written for networks they
> might as well stay in dos. They will not be of use. Povray is know
> for doing things that other programs can not yet. But Povray in all
> of its power can not even brake up the image into chunks and pass
> those to nodes to render and return the part of the image. This IS a
> simple venture. I have built an external system to do just this but
> it is clumsey. Even simpler is to send frames out to different
> systems. This would help also. This is something the povray team
> should have already done. I know the program is free but honer and
> pride in work along with integraty should have driven them to write a
> completely modern application. As for money they can talk to me about
> that.

It is not as easy as you seem to think...there is a lot of data that
needs to be shared, the code isn't built with this type of rendering in
mind, so most of the code would need to be rewritten, and the solution
needs to be cross-platform. Also, there are certain things like noise
and data generated on the fly which would need to be synchronized
somehow. Add the need for testing, and it is pretty obvious why it
hasn't been done yet.
Distributing frames to render is much easier, but still has problems-all
the frames up to the current one would have to be parsed, since a frame
may depend on the frames before it.

The POV-Team will probably at least make preparations for network
rendering features in POV 4, but that will be a complete rewrite in C++.

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/