POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Yet another starship : Re: Yet another starship Server Time
16 Aug 2024 10:26:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another starship
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 15 Feb 2002 19:00:36
Message: <chrishuff-B805A4.19002315022002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3c6d9f63$1@news.povray.org>, "Hugo" <hua### [at] post3teledk>
wrote:

> The ship is nice, but I disagree with that statement. The ship I am planning
> on paper, does not have any weapons really.. I definetely think it's
> unnecessary

If you have a ship capable of interstellar travel, the ship itself would
make a very good weapon...just accelerate towards the target, drop a few
small objects out the airlock, and change velocity so the ship itself
misses the target. Or just abandon ship. ;-)

Even a small mass, like a piece of silverware, would have a huge amount
of kinetic energy if it is travelling at a significant percentage of c.
An entire ship going that speed...big boom.

And all this assumes the drive that pushes the ship is useless as a
weapon...a stream of hot, near-lightspeed ions might actually work
pretty well.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/