POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Fuctions : Re: Fuctions Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:21:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fuctions
From: Chris Huff
Date: 24 Jul 2000 20:40:31
Message: <chrishuff-B623F5.19411124072000@news.povray.org>
In article <397CC152.575CC3BB@yahoo.com>, lem### [at] yahoocom wrote:

> Why don't we simply try to build a POV-C++ library?  You would write
> the code in full OOP in C style, compile it and that would give you a
> scene renderer or anything else as useful... i don't know...  I just
> like the idea of programming POV-Ray in C++ just as I do with
> OpenGL...  That would be cool then to merge these two...  OpenGL for
> the preview and POV-Ray for the final...
>
> But that's up to you, I'm already programming in parallel with OpenGL and
> POV-Ray to test my camera movements and such...

Making libraries or frameworks in C++ or Java has been discussed, but
doesn't fill the same purpose...it would require a compiler, for one
thing. Also, these languages are much more complex, more difficult to
learn, and aren't designed for scene description.

Still, it would be useful to have a framework to emit POV-Script and
possibly call POV to render the script...I have a C++ vector class that
I could contribute to the project, though Java might be a better choice
for cross-platform compatibility. I doubt the POV-Team has the time to
devote to such a thing, so it would be a 3rd party or community project.

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/