POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Major bug in MegaPOV Plus? : Re: Major bug in MegaPOV Plus? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 10:12:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Major bug in MegaPOV Plus?
From: Chris Huff
Date: 8 Sep 2000 16:55:13
Message: <chrishuff-B3D295.15565908092000@news.povray.org>
In article <39b9050f@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

>   So instead of spending 1/2 hour once to learn how to use the STL you
> spend 2 hours every time you want to use a weighted binary tree?

No, I want to spend 2-5 hours learning how to implement it myself. Then
I can spend 1.5 hours figuring out the STL(or fighting with the STL) to
do the same thing.

> : And because I don't want to be
> : separated from what my program is doing?
>
>   Sorry, I didn't understand at all what are you talking about here.

If I use the STL, I don't know exactly what is happening in my program.
If something goes wrong with a program using something I implemented, I
know the code, and can figure out the problem quickly. If something goes
wrong and I am using the STL, I end up trying to figure out why STL
files are producing errors, whether or not the problem is actually *in*
the STL.

> : And because when I was *trying*
> : to learn the STL, I often got errors and couldn't figure out why?
>
>   Get a proper compiler and try again. You can get one by free.

I have an excellent compiler and good libraries. That doesn't help
understanding the reasons I get errors.

>   And read documentation and tutorials.

I have been collecting links to various STL tutorials/overviews on the
web. I also plan to buy some books, when I can. I have a book with a lot
of detailed information on the STL, but it seems more reference oriented
than tutorial oriented.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><