POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Announce: SkyPOV 0.1 : Re: Announce: SkyPOV 0.1 Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:29:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Announce: SkyPOV 0.1
From: Chris Huff
Date: 7 Nov 2000 15:28:23
Message: <chrishuff-AF79D1.15282507112000@news.povray.org>
In article <3a07969c@news.povray.org>, "Mark Wagner"
<mar### [at] gtenet> wrote:

> Update: I implemented it today.  For unknown reasons, POV_REALLOC doesn't
> work properly for this.  I'm using Borland C++ Builder 4.0, if that makes
> any difference.

I've never used POV_REALLOC()(or realloc())...maybe it is a bug in the
pov_realloc() function. Did you get it working with realloc(), or did
you try some other way?

> #declare Spl[2].t = 0.4; // Sets the t value

I think f and t are already reserved for filter and transmit...you would
have to use something else.

> Arrays of splines would be treated as multi-dimensional arrays, with the
> last dimension being the spline index.

This probably would work...it certainly looks simpler and cleaner than
my syntax, though a bit less clear in some rare circumstances.
How about a similar syntax for getting textures, pigments, colors, etc.
from blend maps?

> 2) Cubic interpolation is not done properly.  It appears that the
> "cubic interpolation" is actually done by averaging two quadratic
> interpolations of the spline data.  Fixing this will result in minor
> changes to all scenes that use cubic splines.

These definitely need fixing...
Hmm, another thing that would be nice is a larger assortment of spline
types. Catmull-rom, b-splines, etc...
Keep up the good work.

--
Christopher James Huff