POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : OpenGL support idea : Re: OpenGL support idea Server Time
1 Sep 2024 18:14:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OpenGL support idea
From: Chris Huff
Date: 15 Jan 2001 12:44:01
Message: <chrishuff-AECD5C.12452115012001@news.povray.org>
In article <3a632dad@news.povray.org>, "David C" <dav### [at] satnet>
wrote:

> I am wondering about adding an OpenGL preview for animations. I have three
> questions.

This would probably be harder than you think...the code for setting up
OpenGL would be platform dependant, and you would have to use something
like Warp's tesselation patch, because most objects are rendered
directly, not tesselated.

> - Would it be legal to distribute since OpenGL would be doing the
> rendering and povray would only be doing the parsing?

I don't think there would be a problem, as long as the version you are
distributing consists of everything in the official version of POV
*plus* optional OpenGL rendering. (You couldn't release a version that
only does OpenGL previews.) I'm not sure though, I will check with the
POV-Team.

> - Is it being done already?

If so, nobody has said anything about it. I doubt it, for the reasons I
mentioned above.

> - Is it somthing that the povray comunity would be interested in using?
> (besides me)

Almost definitely.

--
Christopher James Huff