POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : More on hair : Re: More on hair Server Time
2 Sep 2024 02:12:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More on hair
From: Chris Huff
Date: 8 Dec 2000 09:08:27
Message: <chrishuff-AC70F7.09091508122000@news.povray.org>
In article <3A307DB1.2ACDE33D@alpharay.de>, Paul Blaszczyk
<3d### [at] alpharayde> wrote:

> 180 MB uncompressed (!). Number values only you can compress with a
> factor up 20 or higher...what about this idea??

Think of how slow raytracing is...now think of how slow it could be if
it has to constantly compress and decompress large amounts of data at
high compression rates. Not impossible, but not easy either, and the
compression rate would have to be a lot lower.

> And i've found a homepage with a hair-rendering technique using
> texels. It's possible in POV to render texels? Here the URL:
> http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/adrian.skilling/texels/texels.html
> (with C++ code)

POV supports 3D density files that can be used as patterns, and it could
probably do something like this. That rendering algorithm seems to be
the same or very similar to the official POV-Ray media.
See my other message about resolution and memory consumption, also
notice how coarse and sometimes pixelated those "hairs" are, and the
lack of shinyness.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><