POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Function problems in MegaPov : Re: Function problems in MegaPov Server Time
1 Sep 2024 22:13:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Function problems in MegaPov
From: Chris Huff
Date: 18 Sep 2000 09:00:45
Message: <chrishuff-A9063A.08024518092000@news.povray.org>
In article <39C601C9.9A919CE3@my-dejanews.com>,
gre### [at] my-dejanewscom wrote:

> There IS a problem in an inconsistent syntax for noise3d.
> In function declarations you need the vector brackets <>, in
> isosurfaces you must not use them!

The syntax for isosurface functions is slightly different in all cases,
since it only deals with individual coordinate values instead of
vectors. For the version of noise3d() available in the rest of the code,
I chose to use a vector to specify a point instead of three floats, to
be consistent with all the objects, transformations, and vector
functions which already exist.

And besides, it is shorter and easier to use this way:
noise3d(<X, Y, Z>)
noise3d(evalPoint)

than this way:

noise3d(X, Y, Z)
noise3d(evalPoint.x, evalPoint.y, evalPoint.z)

--
Christopher James Huff

<><