POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : IMBJR Flood : Re: IMBJR Flood Server Time
20 Jul 2024 21:31:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IMBJR Flood
From: Chris Huff
Date: 27 Aug 2000 12:37:34
Message: <chrishuff-A819CC.11390327082000@news.povray.org>
In article <39a8dbd5@news.povray.org>, "IMBJR" <imb### [at] imbjrcom> wrote:

> The only reason I think you can hold on to that view is that this
> news server has a set of pretty unique newsgroups on it.

No, the administration can "hold on to that view" because it is the
truth.

> Plus I believe the POV news admin people I have trouble in the past
> from keeping this server isolated; rogue duplicates of the groups
> have appeared out in the "wild".

Some have stolen the material on this server and placed it on Usenet
servers, but that is not legal, and does not make this server public or
a part of Usenet.

> I'm sure that with a little mucking about, I could cross-post this
> message to any other non-POV news groups. You are only seperated by a
> very thin membrane.

You might be able to post to groups on a Usenet server and povray.org,
but it won't work right, because povray.org is not part of Usenet.

> Is it this isolationist attitude that explains the reaction I'm
> getting?

Not all news groups are part of Usenet. Usenet is a specific network and
heirarchy of newsgroups, povray.org is completely independant of Usenet.
It is not due to any isolationist attitude, it is just because becoming
part of Usenet would be too much trouble and would have little or no
gain. The groups on this server are completely separate.

Just believe me: I am not misleading you, and I am not misinformed. This
server(news.povray.org) is *not* part of Usenet, and is *not* a public
server. It is a private server intended for the support of POV-Ray
users. You are not required to have a password in order to access most
of the groups, but that does not make it a public server or part of
Usenet. If these groups appear on a Usenet server, they are either an
independant set of groups, or they are illegally using material from
news.povray.org.

> Only the first line is of a type I do not have in my headers in posts
> to these groups. I assume some prior arrangement with the POV news
> admin team lets you do that - or have you inserted it yourself for
> reasons of demarcation? I cannot see how they make this not part of
> Usenet in the general sense.

I was referring specifically to the X-Copyright header.
The reason for the X-Authenticated-User header in my messages is that I
am a member of the POV-Ray TAG, and an authenticated user of this
server, which means I have a password and can access some of the private
groups devoted to the TAG and POV-Team. For more information, read the
messages in povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions and visit
http://tag.povray.org/.

> Yeah! I've got those too. Any other news servers like to insert other
> types of header, just like regular Usenet.

But this isn't Usenet!

> Yes, it is privately owned (like virtually all news servers:
> commercially, academically, or even as a hobby) - it is not private
> though. It still forms part of the general usenet community.

It is a privately owned private server with private groups which is not
associated with Usenet in any way, except they both use the same
protocol.

> I didn't post everything I have rendered. There are pieces I have
> that I did not think fit for the group - though they have been posted
> on other groups previousy.

I understand that, but most people don't post large numbers of images at
once. It is understandable that people aren't used to it...

--
Christopher James Huff

<><