POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Displace warp/gradient pattern (27+31k) : Re: Displace warp/gradient pattern (27+31k) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 00:25:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Displace warp/gradient pattern (27+31k)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 19 Feb 2001 19:18:52
Message: <chrishuff-A3D5B1.19183119022001@news.povray.org>
In article <3A9051B7.EC1A5EF2@gmx.de>, Christoph Hormann
<chr### [at] gmxde> wrote:

> Some time ago (6. 1. 2001) i posted a macro for a 2d gradient pattern.  I
> now made a povray pattern calculating this in 3d based on Chris Huff's
> type 1 displace warp code.

What exactly does this new gradient pattern do? Is it just a pattern
version of the displace warp?
Hmm, "grad" doesn't seem like a good keyword, but as you mentioned,
"gradient" is already taken...and so is "slope". Maybe
"amount_of_change_of_pigment_color_intensity". ;-)
How about "derivative"? Not as intuitive unless you already know what
"derivative" means...and it would probably be better as a new math
function.

> I also added a third type of displace warp similar to the second one.
> Type 1 has an undocumented additional parameter specifying the distance
> used for calculating the gradient.  When changing this parameter, the
> amount of displacement also changes, which seems not very useful to me.
> See the first attached picture for illustration:

I think your third type is what I intended my second type to
be...unfortunately, I didn't heavily test the effect of the sample
distance parameter. It shouldn't affect anything except the accuracy and
detail of the warp.
Are you going to release the source code to your patches?

--
Christopher James Huff

<><