POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : hash marks : Re: hash marks Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:28:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: hash marks
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 12 Mar 2002 14:02:03
Message: <chrishuff-9FF952.14013612032002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <bmfs8ucdb3aovi7qp11r8t4hin6qnd3kth@4ax.com>,
 W?odzimierz ABX Skiba <abx### [at] babilonorg> wrote:

> I have never worked with PolyRay but I just downloaded polydoc.lzh. All files
> inside are 5 years old. It suggests it died and further it suggests there were
> reason for it. Perhaps one of it was limitations in SDL ?

If I recall correctly, it was actually quite a bit more flexible then
POV, but also harder to use. I think one of the advantages of POV was
that it was a lot easier to build up complex objects from other objects,
but PolyRay had some things that have only recently been added to POV.
PolyRay was before my time though...I don't really know anything about
it.

> I consider POV-SDL very elegant :-)
> As I said I don't know POlyRay very well - pont me what exactly is more
> elegant there ?

As I said, I don't know PolyRay, but there are a lot of little details
in POV that are annoying, inconsistent, or just confusing. Some examples:

The limitation of patterned textures in layers.

Having separate background and sky_sphere features. (people often think
sky_sphere is an object, when it is just a fancy background...using just
one keyword would be more elegant)

Not being able to use macros in array initialization blocks.

Not being able to map finishes.

Various things (patterns, warps...) not being declarable.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/