POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Chris: isn't black "down"? : Re: Chris: isn't black "down"? - attached files (1/1) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 08:21:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Chris: isn't black "down"? - attached files (1/1)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 16 Dec 2000 22:51:17
Message: <chrishuff-9C59EB.22520716122000@news.povray.org>
In article <3a3c1981@news.povray.org>, "Greg M. Johnson"
<"gregj;-)56590\""@aol.c;-)om> wrote:

> Chris H, here is a cube with the checker pattern used as a normal.  It
> looks to me like the black areas are down, the white areas are up.  I
> thought that this would be a teaching moment for me but I think I'm
> sticking to my guns.  Have I really misunderstood this?

You have misunderstood it. :-)
The surfaces of your cube coincide perfectly with the boundaries between
black and white cubes, the different squares appear because the
direction in change switches back and forth...translate the texture so
this doesn't happen and you will see how it works. Also, model the
blocks with actual objects and you will see a different result. Attached
are images of the offset checker pattern and the resulting normal.

I'm not sure what exactly it is doing in those areas in your image, it
actually looks like a probable bug, but the normal feature isn't
intended to deal with big, flat areas in the pattern anyway. It can't,
because of the way it works. How would you adjust the angle of a surface
to a light to make it look like it is "down"?

--
Christopher James Huff

<><

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'pattern.jpeg.jpg' (15 KB) Download 'normal.jpeg.jpg' (9 KB)

Preview of image 'pattern.jpeg.jpg'
pattern.jpeg.jpg

Preview of image 'normal.jpeg.jpg'
normal.jpeg.jpg