POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Strange thing with layered texture : Re: Strange thing with layered texture Server Time
26 Sep 2024 17:45:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strange thing with layered texture
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 9 Mar 2002 16:07:16
Message: <chrishuff-98D5A1.16071809032002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3c8a25a0$1@news.povray.org>, "Hugo" <hua### [at] post3teledk>
wrote:

> As you wish.. I just assumed that each layer is put on top of the other,
> calculated one after the other; each layer being independant of the other.
> That's how textures in POV currently works and that's how surface layers in
> real life are independant of each other.. I expect only a few lines of code
> exsist to control how much an underlying layer transmits / filters by the
> next layer, and it's a puzzle for me that reflection needs to be left out of
> this.

Well, remember that POV didn't get to its current state all at
once...lots of little things were added onto source code that wasn't
initially designed with those features in mind, and a lot of it was
written around limitations that no longer exist, or just tacked on
without any redesign. Basically, it is a tangled mess, and some things
are much more complex than they should be. The layered texture code
happens to be a good example of this...it is pretty much unfixable,
you'll have to wait for the 4.0 rewrite.

This is only one of the problems with the current layered textures,
there are others...for example, you can't use texture_maps in layers.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/