POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : My last radiosity plays (3 pics: 7+5+6 Ko) : Re: My last radiosity plays (3 pics: 7+5+6 Ko) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 14:18:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My last radiosity plays (3 pics: 7+5+6 Ko)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 21 Nov 2000 16:26:01
Message: <chrishuff-96EA82.16262421112000@news.povray.org>
In article <3A1ACB9C.34ECFE0D@unforgettable.com>,
inq### [at] unforgettablecom wrote:

> When I'm doing metal (or other shiny, reflective surfaces), I usually
> reduce the diffuse by (1-reflection)*(standard diffuse finish), or maybe
> a little more.

I usually try to make sure that ambient+diffuse+reflection <= 1, for all
textures, not just reflective ones. When using variable reflection, I
always use conserve_energy(actually, I usually throw it in anyway...). I
also usually use metallic and reflect_metallic, always use filter
instead of transmit, and only use specular or blinn highlights. For
transparent materials, I have been specifying a totally transparent
texture and giving color with the fade_color feature, this simulates the
actual effects of colored transparent materials, instead of a surface
filled with air.
Oh, and I usually set ambient to 0, and put a fill light at the camera
position or use radiosity. This helps the contrast of the image, since
the fill light has shading while ambient flattens things out.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><