POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : yet another mengersponge... : Re: yet another mengersponge... Server Time
19 Aug 2024 04:24:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: yet another mengersponge...
From: Chris Huff
Date: 12 Mar 2001 18:03:17
Message: <chrishuff-96D7F4.17591212032001@news.povray.org>
In article <MPG.1517399eed9bd1a989897@news.povray.org>,
jam### [at] ntlworldcom (Jamie Davison) wrote:

> I'd have thought that would depend on the material being used to make
> said sponge?  With a transparent but reflective material, surely internal
> reflections would build up to the point where they would overpower and
> obscure any view through the sponge?

Well, I was specifically talking about transparent sponges, but I think
that the cross-section area of the sponge will tend toward 0 as the
surface area tends toward infinity, so a ray (or in the real world, a
photon) wouldn't be able to hit a perfect sponge, and would just pass
through it.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><