POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Height field macros - attached files (1/1) : Re: Height field macros - attached files (1/1) Server Time
18 Aug 2024 22:21:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Height field macros - attached files (1/1)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 3 Mar 2001 22:32:41
Message: <chrishuff-961B3F.22295803032001@news.povray.org>
In article <3AA16D6D.72C85D84@gmx.de>, Christoph Hormann
<chr### [at] gmxde> wrote:

> Looks very interesting, although i did not yet totally understand how the
> second and third one work, are you evaluating the pigment in a 2d plane or
> in 3d space?

3D space, the surface of a 1-unit-radius sphere centered at < 0, 0,
0>...you could map the sphere to a 2D plane with the spherical warp, if
you wanted, but this method lets you get completely smooth, continuous
results.

> The third one looks similar to a sphere-crackle isosurface, that lead me
> to the idea of an isosurface tesselation macro.  Since Warp's tesselation
> patch is still buggy and does not work well on isosurfaces, that could be
> quite useful IMO.

This would be extremely slow as a macro or include...maybe too slow to
be practical. Also, as I recall, Warp's tesselation patch works fine
with isosurfaces using method 2, and the problem with method 1 is
actually with the isosurface object itself, not the tesselation patch.
There is that odd bug with missing/misarranged triangles, but that often
doesn't pop up.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><