POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Deleting triangles : Re: Deleting triangles Server Time
5 Sep 2024 02:14:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Deleting triangles
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 3 Jan 2002 11:24:19
Message: <chrishuff-909D6D.11251903012002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <cqj### [at] cthulhuhans5slorg>,
 Johannes Bretscher <bre### [at] 5slorg> wrote:

> I wrote a macro to build a mesh from mathematic formulas. Is it
> possible to delete some triangles from tihs mesh, i.e. to cut a hole
> in the generatet surface?

There is no way to remove a triangle from a mesh, your best bet would
probably be to do it as you generate the mesh, just leaving the
triangles out instead of trying to remove them later. An alternative
might be to store the mesh data in an array and remove the triangles
from that, maybe by storing the vertices in one array, and using another
2D array to store the triangles, using vertex indexes. You could then
use a "magic number" to "delete" a triangle.

#declare VertArray = array [NumVertices];
#declare TriArray = array [NumTriangles][3]
{
   {1, 5, 8},
   {TRI_2_VERTEX_1, TRI_2_VERTEX_2, TRI_2_VERTEX_3},
   {-1,-1,-1},//deleted triangle
   {TRI_N_VERTEX_1, TRI_N_VERTEX_2, TRI_N_VERTEX_3}
};

Or you could just use the clipped_by feature, if you want to cut out an
arbitrary shape instead of individual triangles.