POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : media oriented patterns? : Re: media oriented patterns? Server Time
1 Sep 2024 16:17:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: media oriented patterns?
From: Chris Huff
Date: 9 Mar 2001 07:11:48
Message: <chrishuff-8E7A86.07080209032001@news.povray.org>
In article <3aa7685d$1@news.povray.org>, "jrg" <gru### [at] complabcom>
wrote:

> I mean something like this:
> density { smoke {type ,start_point, height_of_smoke,turbulence,
> something_else}}
> And voila' , I get a great looking smoking shape.

The problem is that this is too specific and narrow, and attempts to do
too much...it is useful for smoke, and only smoke, and would only be
capable of a few specific smoke effects. Also, smoke requires much more
than just a density pattern. It would make a good include file, but not
an internal pattern.
And smoke can already be done with other features, which are much more
versatile.

> I know this can be reached with a bit of work around the blob
> pattern, but I think it would be nice to avoid this hard way.

An easier way would be to use the particle_system patch as a pattern,
but the particle_system pattern isn't functional yet...you could use the
particle_system to position blob pattern components, though.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><