POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Proximity pattern in Normal? : Re: Proximity pattern in Normal? Server Time
1 Sep 2024 14:29:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Proximity pattern in Normal?
From: Chris Huff
Date: 12 Mar 2001 12:24:39
Message: <chrishuff-8D2C17.12203412032001@news.povray.org>
In article <3aacf34b@news.povray.org>, Geoff Wedig
<wed### [at] darwinepbicwruedu> wrote:

> I'm trying to use the proximity pattern in a normal.  However, MP0.7
> is telling me that it isn't finding a normal type.  I thought perhaps
> I needed to add something like bozo, but if I do it before, it balks
> at the proximity ("no } found, found proximity instead").  If I do it
> after, it breaks the other way.  It looks to me like the proximity
> pattern is recognized as a pattern but isn't *set* as the pattern, so
> when it gets to the end of the normal, it bombs.

You were putting "bozo" alongside the proximity{} block? That won't
work, you can only specify a single pattern for a normal. When it
finishes parsing the first pattern and finds another one, of course it
gives an error.
Did you try commenting out the proximity{} block and using only bozo or
another pattern? I don't think the proximity pattern is the problem
here...

>   normal_map
>   {
>     [0 .5 ]
>     [0.19 .5 ]
>     [.2 1 ]
>     [.3 .5 ]
>     [1  .5 ]
>   }

This isn't the syntax for normal_maps...you need to put a normal
modifier in the entries, not a float value. I suspect you want a
slope_map...but even then, this is the wrong syntax, slope_maps take 2D
vectors.
Also, there is an extra "}" in the code you posted...but I assume that
is just a cut-n-paste error.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><