POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Portal Pigment - Portal pigment.jpeg (1/1) : Re: Portal Pigment - Portal pigment.jpeg (1/1) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 02:22:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Portal Pigment - Portal pigment.jpeg (1/1)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 21 Jan 2001 16:42:09
Message: <chrishuff-8C4073.16431521012001@news.povray.org>
In article <3a6b54e1@news.povray.org>, "Bob H."
<per### [at] aolcom?subject=PoV-News:%20&body=Relating%20to%20POV-Ra
y:> wrote:

> Several minutes later I finally understand it.  Can't say that the mov
> animation helped though, more like further confused me.  That's typical.
> I just went back to thinking what it was about to begin with, that
> being a magic mirror which is about like having more than one camera
> per scene, and it made sense then.

This scene only has one camera, it's more like a one-way wormhole. I'm
trying to get it to use cameras, though...in that case, the result will
be the same as rendering with another camera and using that as an image
map, except with essentially infinite resolution, much less memory, and
much easier to use animations.

> I guess it's the way you call it a "pigment" instead of something else.

Well, it *is* a pigment...if you don't use ambient 1, you see that it is
really colors on the surface of an object that will get shaded like
anything else.

> Still wondering on that talk of transparency and shadows, maybe I'll
> eventually know what you mean.

Well, light going into the "far" end of the portal should pour out of
the "near" one, but that won't happen. Well, it should be possible with
photon mapping, but I don't know how it would be done...it would
probably require it to be a new object type instead, and wouldn't be as
flexible.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><