POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Two glowing crystaloids (39kb) : Re: Two glowing crystaloids (39kb) Server Time
1 Oct 2024 18:31:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Two glowing crystaloids (39kb)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 2 Aug 2000 15:03:11
Message: <chrishuff-8A0260.14040402082000@news.povray.org>
In article <39885E9B.49E5E5C9@mail.wh2.tu-dresden.de>, Michael Zier
<zie### [at] mailwh2tu-dresdende> wrote:

> Well, I just don't have any idea, how to animate the media in an
> realistic way. Just to cycle through the phase property would look ugly.

You could translate the pattern a bit, apply turbulence, and then
translate it back. Control the distance you translate it using the clock
variable, and you could get a kind of animated turbulence.
You could also combine several patterns(using isosurface functions),
each with different rates of rotation/translation.

> BTW, there could be a kind of non-linear transform in future versions of
> POV, e.g.
> transform {
>  non_linear {
>   x=f_x(x,y,z)
>   y=f_y(x,y,z)
>   z=f_z(x,y,z)
>  }
> }
> this could be very useful in modifying patterns used in media densities.

There is already a way to apply non-linear transforms to patterns:
warps. And I have been working on a way to do exactly what you describe,
using the displace warp and a new pigment which takes an isosurface
function for each color component.(I actually have it coded, but haven't
tested it yet.)

> Anyway, if anyone has any idea of animate media realistically, let me
> know.

You could do it with a bunch of particles. :-)

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/