POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Failed pursuit/escape project (683 kbbu) MPG-1 : Re: Failed pursuit/escape project (683 kbbu) MPG-1 Server Time
20 Jul 2024 11:16:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Failed pursuit/escape project (683 kbbu) MPG-1
From: Chris Huff
Date: 13 Dec 2000 06:33:15
Message: <chrishuff-877240.06341113122000@news.povray.org>
In article <3a327ac1@news.povray.org>, "Greg M. Johnson"
<"gregj;-)56590\""@aol.c;-)om> wrote:

> 1) Use of a step function in an isosurface leads to bandings on the side
> of the "steps" which appears especially unattractive in an animation.
> Increasing the max gradient helps but also increases render time with
> practically a diminishing rate of return.

Perhaps you should just use a mesh instead...you could make a huge city
area out of randomly chosen "blocks". This would also be much faster
rendering.

> 2) Negotiation of square cubes is inherently more difficult than say
> keeping particles apart from each other or negotiating an extremely
> smooth, rolling ground.   The problem is that I designed a "city" with a
> lot of places where particles can get trapped in a dead end.  The
> particles simply look to see if the closest surface is to its right or
> left and steers accordingly.  If you come into a situation where two
> cubes touch in a corner, it's really hard to get out of it.

Just cheat! Figure out how to detect this condition and cause the
particles to crash into a building or fly into the air and explode. A
puff of media and a flash would be enough...

Also, if you use a mesh, you can avoid most of these conditions by
leaving spaces between the buildings.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><