POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Minus Values in Assumed_Gamma = Strange :) : Re: Minus Values in Assumed_Gamma = Strange :) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 22:10:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Minus Values in Assumed_Gamma = Strange :)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 13 Nov 2000 17:04:53
Message: <chrishuff-864B14.17050413112000@news.povray.org>
In article <3a0f9ac9@news.povray.org>, "Mark Wagner"
<mar### [at] gtenet> wrote:

> Wrong.  IOR is defined as the *ratio* of the speed of light in a
> given material to a reference material (usually, the reference
> material is a hard vacuum).

Ok, thanks for the info...I wasn't certain about there being a lower
limit to ior. I dimly remember reading about the exact meaning of ior,
but not reliably enough to claim only positive values are allowed.

> If an object has a negative IOR, it implies that light entering the
> object will have a negative velocity -- it will enter the object,
> stop, turn around, and head back the other direction!

Which would probably look like a reflection in most cases...possibly a
useful effect.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><