POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Calling 'procedures' with variables? : Re: Calling 'procedures' with variables? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 14:23:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Calling 'procedures' with variables?
From: Chris Huff
Date: 30 Aug 2000 09:38:35
Message: <chrishuff-8621C7.08400930082000@news.povray.org>
In article <39AC60D1.D4A0E968@istar.ca>, sde### [at] istarca wrote:

> However, Pov still complains when it gets to the first line of the
> code which contains the n variable, saying "numeric expression
> expected but undeclared identifier 'n' found instead."

This sounds like a typo somewhere. Make sure you use an upper-case
letter in all variables to avoid conflicts with keywords, and make sure
you use the same variable name in the pigment as you used in the macro
parameter list.

> Am I missing something fundamental here?

Try something more like this:

#macro PigmentFunc (n)
pigment { bla bla n bla bla }
#end

texture {PigmentFunc(0.5)}

You can also use the macro to declare a pigment, like this:

#declare MyPigment = PigmentFunc(0.35)

> Would there be any benifit in my posing the code?

It would help us to find what exactly is wrong with it, but you seem to
be doing it in a round-about way, you might want to completely change
the way you are doing it.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><