POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Area_light tolerance in Pov3.1 : Re: Area_light tolerance and optimisation stuffs Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:34:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Area_light tolerance and optimisation stuffs
From: Chris Huff
Date: 11 Nov 2000 14:23:18
Message: <chrishuff-848B16.14232611112000@news.povray.org>
In article <3A0D82A3.37D5D7CF@free.fr>, Nicolas Calimet
<pov### [at] freefr> wrote:

> 	Yes I thought about doing exactly the same, maybe in 3 minutes
> instead of 5 ;-)

Well, I had to find and decipher block_area_light() before I could
start... ;-)

> That's why I think it should (or may ?) be included in POV 3.5...
> Only thing is at least to test if it's actually valuable.

I will ask about it.

> > I doubt this would be helpful...it would be equivalent to averaging one
> > image using area lights with several images without area lights.
> 	I'm not sure this will be this kind of result... but I'm maybe
> wrong.

No, you are right...I thought you were talking about using point lights
for the extra samples.

> > something that would probably require a complete
> > redesign and rewrite of that entire portion of the code.
>
> 	Hehehehe maybe for POV 4.0 ?

Maybe... :-)

> Actually only the antialias method 2 can work properly.

Why is that?

> I also use it for focal blur since it helps a little bit to reduce
> the grainy effect.

Hmm, I thought focal blur replaced ordinary anti-aliasing...but looking
at the manual again, it only says AA isn't needed, not that it won't be
done.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><