POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Basket-weaving (fun with spline objects) : Re: Isosurface (was Re: Basket-weaving (fun with spline objects)) - isotree.jpg (1/1) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 20:14:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface (was Re: Basket-weaving (fun with spline objects)) - isotree.jpg (1/1)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 24 Oct 2000 18:11:52
Message: <chrishuff-83C0BE.17144224102000@news.povray.org>
In article <39f5b947$1@news.povray.org>, "Bill DeWitt"
<the### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:

>     I want to make a branching shape that I can then put leaves on. I
> suspect that it can be done, but I haven't been able to get anywhere
> with it at all.

I whipped up this isosurface tree in about 20 minutes...but I cheated.
:-)
I made a fractal blob, then used the blob pattern in a pigment in a
pigment function, and called that function from the isosurface. Not too
slow...and it still has many of the benefits of isosurfaces.

I don't think you are going to get a realistic looking, complex plant
out of an ordinary function...it would certainly be possible, but the
function would probably be horribly complex, inflexible, and slow
rendering. Maybe if you designed some new pattern and used that in the
isosurface...
You can get some odd branch-like structures that look fairly natural
from a distance pretty easily, just by displacing a sphere with a
pigment. Not exactly a tree though...

--
Christopher James Huff

<><