POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Scene in 15 min (69k) : Re: Scene in 15 min (69k) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 16:20:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scene in 15 min (69k)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 10 Nov 2000 19:06:59
Message: <chrishuff-81959F.19070410112000@news.povray.org>
In article <3A0C8739.41D7D59C@mail.com>, Ben Birdsey
<cla### [at] mailcom> wrote:

> Even though the functions are simpler for a POV programmer to write
> down, isosurfaces are inherently slower to render than the "more
> efficiently coded" poly objects.

Did you actually try it? Isosurfaces can often be faster than "hard
coded" objects, superellipsoids for example. It is probably dependant on
which poly object you are using, though...

> ...not to mention poor renderings due to max_gradient issues. (Check
> out the 1/r factor, which will cause the gradient to blow up close to
> the z-axis).

I used a slightly different function (more like 1/(r+n)) to avoid the
1/0 and extremely high gradient at the z axis. Otherwise, there was an
artifact going along the z axis. Once I fixed that, I didn't see
anything wrong with the render.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><