POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Trouble with particle_system : Re: Trouble with particle_system Server Time
2 Sep 2024 02:17:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trouble with particle_system
From: Chris Huff
Date: 17 Jul 2000 10:50:17
Message: <chrishuff-803610.09504617072000@news.povray.org>
In article <39730597.FC0ED7E0@iastate.edu>, Mike Wilson
<maw### [at] iastateedu> wrote:

> I've also had it do screwy things where the render is very slow and the
> particles seem like they are doubled.

What do you mean by "doubled"? Are there twice as many particles as
there should be? Are they twice the size they should be?

> Also changing apparently unrelated code (e.g. camera angle statement)
> can cause an error in "Minverse".

Interesting...are you using particle_stretch? I think I need to add some
error checking to it, because it won't work with particles that aren't
moving...but particles usually are moving.

> In all cases, simply trying the render again without changing
> anything seems to work ok.

Has it ever happened in an animation?
I have encountered problems with the slow rendering, but never when the
first render went fine. It seems like if one render goes correctly, all
of them will until you quit the program...

> I also discovered that specifying a pigment pattern for temperature
> in the particle_system block will cause a system crash unless you
> specify a color_map to go with it.

Sounds like a possible problem with the pigment pattern...though I will
check the temperature pigment, just in case.

> Mass seems backwards to me.  Making the particles heavier seems to
> make them more buoyant.

That is because the gravitational force doesn't take mass into
account...I will fix that. Gravitational acceleration should be
constant, but currently, gravitational force is constant. Mass should
behave properly with other forces, though, and gravity works fine on
particles with a mass of 1.

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/