POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Minus Values in Assumed_Gamma = Strange :) : Re: Minus Values in Assumed_Gamma = Strange :) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 16:16:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Minus Values in Assumed_Gamma = Strange :)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 12 Nov 2000 13:26:08
Message: <chrishuff-7E9319.13261612112000@news.povray.org>
In article <3a0ed1ad@news.povray.org>, "Jan Walzer" <jan### [at] lzernet>
wrote:

> Looking at the picture I think the effect comes from some
> clipping-effects of the different rgb-values or some
> non-continueities (you know what I mean) of the Gamma-function
> with negative values ...

I think the gamma correction uses a continuous, non periodic function,
probably just a simple polynomial. The results you see are probably from
the color values being clipped and otherwise messed up by the function.

> I think, the question is: When is it applied? Before or after AA??

Gamma correction would have to be applied to the final result of
computing a pixel, correcting each sample wouldn't give the right
result. Antialiasing has little effect on the image, it mostly makes a
small difference in edges, so the change would be minor.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><