POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Why can't patterns be declared ? : Re: Why can't patterns be declared ? Server Time
1 Sep 2024 16:19:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why can't patterns be declared ?
From: Chris Huff
Date: 2 Mar 2001 16:53:21
Message: <chrishuff-7DE5DD.16514102032001@news.povray.org>
In article <slr### [at] fwicom>, ron### [at] povrayorg
wrote:

> Be careful.  There are some gotchas with identifiers that I just found
> whilst gallivanting through the code.

Anything in particular? I've been following the code for the spline {}
patch, and my interpolated transformations seem to be declaring fine...I
haven't tested them with macros or arrays, though. And I've noticed that
my #set patch doesn't work for arrays.

> >problem is that the "pattern" keyword is already used, but it's current
> This doesn't preclude your reusing it in a different context.

I know, it just bothers me that the same keyword, with a very specific
meaning, is used for widely different things. And the "pattern" keyword
just doesn't seem to fit in this case.

> Originally it was to have taken a pattern as argument.  I don't remember
> now why it wasn't written to do so, but I suspect it had something to do
> with transforms and other warps not being usable at that level, or with
> things like pigment_map and average that aren't strictly patterns.  Maybe
> I should keep a diary of these things.

Well, pigments have colors...but I don't recall if this "image" type can
be used outside height fields (and I can't think of any reason you
*would* use it directly...). With pigments, you can drastically modify
the shape of the surface by using different color_maps, and while you
can do the same now with ordinary patterns using the spline_wave patch,
it wasn't around then. Similar to the reason pigments are useable as
isosurface functions, but patterns aren't.
Well, there is also the fact that patterns can't be declared... ;-)

> Better might be to just get rid of it altogether, since there are now
> lots of better ways of doing most of what it can do.

There are? The only way I can think of would be to write a macro that
uses eval_pigment() to create a mesh...and that's only for height fields.

> Not likely to happen now, though, for hysterical raisins.

If it *is* modified or removed, it should be now, before there are
enough "hysterical raisins". I doubt there is anyone who has used it who
wasn't aware that it is an experimental feature of an unofficial version.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><