POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Assigning different textures to triangles in a mesh : Re: Assigning different textures to triangles in a mesh Server Time
5 Sep 2024 00:13:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Assigning different textures to triangles in a mesh
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 9 Sep 2002 09:25:03
Message: <chrishuff-7C044E.09243309092002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3d7c76e4@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

>   Unless POV-Ray handles a union of triangles in a very special way (which
> I don't know if it does; I suppose not), then even one single instance of
> a mesh takes less memory than a union of triangles (because in a mesh
> vertex points shared by several triangles are stored only once, not once for
> each triangle, as I suppose happens with a union of triangles).

The mesh primitive also has a well optimized way of doing bounding
calculations on individual triangles.

A union is a collection of shapes, the syntax of each shape is exactly
the same as it would be outside of the union. A mesh is not a collection
of triangle objects, it is a collection of triangle vertex, normal, and
texture data, optimized for memory and speed. It is more of a
"multi-triangle" than a group of triangles. Because of this, mesh
triangles don't support the exact same syntax.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/