POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Re: preview of deform patch (53 kbu) : Re: preview of deform patch (53 kbu) Server Time
2 Sep 2024 00:19:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: preview of deform patch (53 kbu)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 12 Dec 2000 10:13:10
Message: <chrishuff-7B78FA.10140412122000@news.povray.org>
In article <3a35f681$1@news.povray.org>, "Wlodzimierz ABX Skiba"
<abx### [at] abxartpl> wrote:

> I thought of your proposition and looked at the source of warps whole
> night and finnaly I think there is big misunderstand, You Chris and
> Christoph Hormann think that I deform point only ones but every
> deformation which I need must be bi-directional/reversable/invertable
> well defined deformation f(x,y,z) must have brather or sister as
> undeformation g(x,y,z) where:
> A=f(B) and B=g(A)

Ok, I thought your patch used a method similar to the isosurface to find
the intersections, but generated the functions automatically from a
specified object and simply displaced the function. I still don't
entirely understand what you are doing...but it looks more like
simulating curved rays with short segments.

> is inverted function of turbulance and/or warps builded in povray

Unfortunately, no, there aren't any functions to invert warps in
POV-Ray...and many warps aren't reversable.
If it only works with invertable warps, it is a lot more limited than I
thought...maybe another method could be used in addition to what you
wrote. Type 0 deform objects would be what you have now and would use
special, reversable deformations, type 1 deform objects would convert
the object to an isosurface function and apply a warp. Type 1 would be
more versatile, but also potentially slower/less accurate.

> > If you want only part of the object to be deformed,
> > you should probably use
> > a union of a deform object with ordinary objects.
> with wasting memory if this could be omited ?

Hmm, I wasn't considering memory use...

> hmm, but parameters of accuracy should be defined for every
> deformation becouse every type of deformations could have "density"
> of changing, "denisty" of turbulencing than perhaps

Well, I was thinking of it in terms of warps, all the deformations would
be put in a single chain of warps rather than nested deformations, so
only a single accuracy would be needed, and it would only have to handle
the finest detail of all the deformations put together.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><