POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Povray and reality : Re: Povray and reality Server Time
5 Sep 2024 14:17:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray and reality
From: Chris Huff
Date: 14 Aug 2000 11:42:11
Message: <chrishuff-792D15.10432214082000@news.povray.org>
In article <3997786E.B6B66551@yahoo.com>, Adam <bel### [at] yahoocom>
wrote:

> Wait, of course Iceland spar, that is, calcite, exhibits
> birefringence. I don't know what I was thinking with the dihydrate of
> calcium sulfate, I mean gypsum. I didn't even mean gypsum when I said
> it.

I don't think crystalline calcium carbonate is the only mineral to
exhibit this behavior, though...I just can't think of another.

> Gypsum is what causes noncarbonate hardness of water.

I didn't think calcium sulfate was soluble enough to really affect water
hardness.

> Come to think of it, how would I do double refraction anyway?

By averaging the results of calculating refraction twice, with different
iors?

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/